Triple Crown Sports - Baseball Rules Unless noted prior to the event, National Federation High School Rules will be used with the following notations. Triple Crown reserves the right to enforce particular invitational tournament rules.
THESE ONLINE RULES SUPERCEDE ALL OTHER RULES INCLUDING THOSE LISTED ON THE BACK OF THE SCORECARD
1. Protests: The Protest Fee is $100 cash (on rule interpretation only). Protests must be made prior to the next pitch being thrown. The Umpire(s) must be informed first of a protest made during the game. The Tournament Director will make the final decision on all Protests.
2. Game Time: Starting time is forfeit time, unless delay is created by Triple Crown. Teams that no-show for a game will forfeit that game and will potentially forfeit the remainder of the games in that Event. No refunds will be issued for teams that do not show for a game.
All games in this event will be played with a 2 hour time limit (other than Saturday Championships and Final Result Games). No new inning will start after 2 hours and the home team will not continue batting if winning when the time limit hits. Clock starts when the pre-game Umpire/Manager meeting ends. The Umpires are designated as the official time keepers. Managers should verify that the correct start time is documented on the official scorecard before leaving the pre-game meeting.
3. Home Team: Determined by coin flip in pool play. Higher seed is awarded the choice of home team in playoffs and championship games. If two equal seeds meet then we will use a coin flip. Triple Crown Sports staff will keep the official book. Disputes will be reviewed by tournament director. FOR ALL DOUBLE ELIM BRACKETS WITH "NO IF" GAME, CHOICE OF HOME TEAM BELONGS TO THE TEAM COMING OUT OF THE WINNERS BRACKET.
4. Player Minimum: A team must start with a minimum of 9 players but can finish with less, taking outs in the vacant batting order positions.
5. Saturday Championship and Final Result Games: No time limit and no "Triple Crown Tie Breaker? Run rules are still in effect.
6. Pitching Rules (Innings per Tournament):
*9's and 10's = 6 innings
*11's and 12's = 6 innings
*13's and 14's = 7 innings
*15's thru 18's = 8 innings
*One inning can be added to each player on the roster in each game after your 4th game (start of 5th game).
*Scorecards must be signed by both team managers after the game to verify the score and pitching.
*No limit on the number of appearances.
*One pitch (warm-up or game) will be considered an inning pitched.
*Eight warm-ups to start, five thereafter. Umpires reserve the right to limit the warm-up time to a minimum of 1 minute regardless of the number of pitches thrown.
*Mound: 13s and younger may throw on flat surfaces depending on field availability.
*If pitching rules are violated and the infraction is detected, the situation will be reviewed and consequences will be determined by the Tournament Director. Consequences may include, but are not limited to, the following: coach and/or player ejections, game forfeiture, removal of team from the tournament, suspension from additional tournaments.
7. Courtesy Runners: As per NFHS rules, a courtesy runner may be used for the pitcher or catcher. The courtesy runner must be a substitute player that has not been in the game. A courtesy runner may run for either the pitcher or catcher, but not both. Two courtesy runners (one for pitcher, one for catcher) may be used if the team has eligible substitutes for both roles. Triple Crown will allow the following as an option (not mandatory) for the CATCHER ONLY: If a team does not have an eligible substitute, they may choose to run the last batted out for the catcher.
8. Infield Warm-Ups: All teams are encouraged to warm-up as much as possible before game time; however, no practice may be taken on the infield. ONLY FLAT SOLED SHOES WILL BE ALLOWED FOR PRE-GAME WARM-UP AT ALL FIELDS
9. Baseballs: Teams must provide all game balls (1 dozen per team included in entry fee). Estimated two new balls and one used per game. Official TCS Baden Baseballs are mandatory for all games. Additional baseballs may be purchased at the event. Umpires reserve the right to refuse baseballs that they determine are not suitable for play.
10. No Steel Cleats in the following age groups: 8's, 9s, 10s.
11. Bats (SEE BAT RULES LINK FOR UPDATED STANDARDS):
*13u and Younger: All bats -5 or greater must be stamped BPF 1.15. Must be a baseball bat – no restriction on weight or length as long as bat has “BPF 1.15” stamp. All -3 bats must be stamped BBCOR. Wood bats allowed.
*14u and Older: -3 weight/length ratio only. All bats must be stamped BBCOR. Wood bats are allowed.
*Bat rules apply to the age division you are playing in (not the age of the player or team).
*Penalties for illegal bats will be assessed as per the NFHS rule book.
12. Uniforms: Numbers required, matching uniforms recommended.
13. Adverse Weather: The Triple Crown Baseball Tournament may be played in adverse weather conditions. Game format may be changed to include lesser time limits, fewer innings or seed advancement to complete the tournament. Coaches and players accept these conditions when entering the tournament.
14. Tie-Breaker System: No games in this event will end in a tie. When a game is tied after all innings have been completed, the Triple Crown tie-breaker rule will go into effect. Each team puts the batter who is scheduled to bat last in the inning on second base and plays out a full inning of regular baseball (no outs, no count). This happens until the tie is broken and the game is complete. This rule does not apply to the Saturday Championship and Final Result games.
15. Teams may bat any number of players and retain subs but must remain at the same total number of batters they started with throughout the game: Example 11 batters and 3 subs must finish with 11 batters. Batters not listed defensively will be extra hitters (EP or EH) and may rotate anywhere on the field like any other starter. If a team finishes the game with less players than they started, the team must take outs in the vacant positions (NO EXCEPTIONS).
16. Decisions: Tournament Director shall have final decision on all tournament issues, rules and interpretations.
****TRIPLE CROWN WILL PLAY THESE DIMENSIONS AND RUN RULES****
*The following dimensions are set by Triple Crown Baseball; however, minor discrepancies may occur due to particular field set up at various locations.
9u, 10u**46' pitching**65' bases**Time Limit 2 Hours**6 innings** 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings, or 8 runs after 5 innings.
9u, 10u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
11u, 12u**50' pitching**70' bases**Time Limit 2 Hours**6 innings** 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings, or 8 runs after 5 innings.
11u, 12u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
13u**60’6” pitching**90’ bases**Time Limit 2 Hours**7 innings** 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings, or 8 runs after 6 innings.
13u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
14u**60’6” pitching**90’ bases**Time Limit 2 Hours**7 innings** 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings, or 8 runs after 6 innings.
14u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
*********All above ages have a 20 run rule after 2 completed innings*********